07 April 2016

HOW TO BE A MALAYSIAN FASHION BLOGGER

S T Y L E

- Come for the fashion, stay for the articles. -


So, I guess you're here because you'd like to know how to be a successful fashion blogger. I haven't the slightest idea as well. We'll figure this out together.

My fascination with fashion blogging started way before the Instagram era, where people were sharing fuzzy photos their outfits and the hashtag #OOTD was years away from being established. As the years went by, fashion blogging has drastically progressed to not just sharing photos of one's outfit, but many of my favourite style bloggers have evolved to include stunning photographs and beautifully written lifestyle articles.

Come for the fashion, stay for the articles.

A few weeks back, I shared my thoughts on 'Would it be difficult to be a lifestyle journalist without the relevant qualifications and experience?' and was immediately shot down. Many people now don't exactly appreciate a well written, thought-provoking article and I'm guessing it's from all the fluff floating around Facebook?

Fast forward to today, I was contacted by Zalora to share their open invitation to contribute articles to their community, I immediately agreed!

In my last few years of blogging, I've made the conscious decision to improve my writing style and I've noticed that it has, in turn, improved by communication skills as well. By reading my favourite blogs and websites, I've challenged myself to always improve on my writing and thoughts, and I'm really glad I did it.

So Zalora Malaysia's Community page has opened their digital magazine to us, the community, be it a budding journalist, a hobby writer or someone with a sudden crazy spur of inspiration, feel free to grab your laptops and share your thoughts with them.

Zalora literally screamed 'Join us as a fashion blogger now!!' and I believe by sourcing talent from the community, we'll be able to learn from each other and be able to gain an insight from a huge variety of fashionistas from Malaysia or around the world. Being a fashion blogger today isn't just about the outfits, they cover so many topics from fashion, beauty, lifestyle, relationship, travel, events, health/fitness, food, career and technology!

As per Zalora, by participating in the community page, we'll be able to gain exposure through the website with more than 3.7 million visitors since March 2015. Now that's a whole lot of online shoppers!

This project's pretty new so if you're interested in being a pioneer of this community project, here's what Zalora has to say:

'Simply drop us an email to the Editor, Aini at nurul.aini@my.zalora.com with ideas you have for specific category(s) and a brief (one paragraph) description of who you are and what kind of writing you do. Follow this stated format for the subject line: [country] [category] - [title] [author name]. Besides that, write to us a brief description of your article idea (e.g. "400-word article on holiday) in the body of your email and also send along a couple of writing samples (if any). We will decide if your article suits the style and so don't be shy! Join us now!'

I hope this piece managed to help someone, be it unleashing your creative writing talent or just exposing your writing to a larger community - keep growing, keep improving. 

M.May

Thank you Zalora for sponsoring this post and for involving the community in this exciting project.

No comments: